Thursday, September 08, 2005

What is it about a tree?

What is is about a tree that make you feel good?

I have been bugging Mike since we moved in to put a tree in the back corner of the yard to block the late afternoon sun. Sometimes it gets SO hot and it beats right down on the house. SO, today we made the plunge. We had a beautiful Red Maple Tree planted in the perfect spot. It looks so strong and healthy. (I hope it stays that way). I keep looking out the window to see if it's still there. It is. Strong and healthy. I just feels good to have it there. I guess it's the "new life" thing.

On the other hand, we had the two trees in the front of the house trimmed. The huge Bradford Pear is my favorite. It has beautiful flowers in the spring, provides awesome shade in the summer, displays it's gorgeous colors in fall, and stands guard in the winter. It was starting to get a little tired looking, a little "overworked". It was just sagging. I knew that it needed some help yet it was difficult to watch the men carefully trim it back - branch by branch. It looks like a great weight has been lifted off it's shoulders yet at the same time looks so bare and fragile. I know it will be fine but something in me feels so sad that it's "gone". I look forward to seeing all of the new branches and leaves next spring.

No comments: